Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pour some sugar on me ...

It was a really cold and snuggly weekend. Andy and I had a pantry challenge this week (we attempted to only eat what was in the house and try to stay out of the grocery store). Andy did so good until today when he snuck out while I was still asleep to get bacon. Don't come between the best weekend breakfast cook and his bacon I guess :). Andy and I also watched a crap load of Cake Boss last week and decided this weekend that we were going to make a practice cake using fondant for Lennon's upcoming birthday. It came out a little bumpy but not too shabby. Here's our weekend wrap up:
My mom got these pj's for the girls for Christmas. They are so soft and snuggly. Lucie cracks me up with her footy pajama love. If you look back over this blog you will find that she's usually wearing either this outfit or another one with gingerbread man on them. Don't quite get what the deal is ... but I don't care, she can wear them until she's 18 if she wants!

Poor Lu. Every time I say put your arm around your sister Lennon puts her in a choke hold.

Lucie ate about a pound of fondant. She totally didn't care that it tastes like nothing. That was the second thing about the cake that made it taste weird. First was the questionable shortening I used to grease the pans. It was in my cabinet for sometime and was obviously bad. It seeped through the cake and that's all you could taste.

Third was the kind of cake we used - spice cake. It was all I had and since we were banned from the store this weekend we thought it may work okay. Not so much. It was really crumbly, which made it hard to cut and frost. Fourth was the butter cream frosting that Andy mixed up. He added more milk than he should have and it was too watery. This would have been fine, but the texture of the spice cake was one that just soaked up the frosting.

Rolling and coloring the fondant was surprisingly the easiest part.

We didn't have a rolling pin large enough so we improvised with a wine bottle. Worked just fine. No innocent wine bottles were hurt in the making of this cake.

Voila! A bumpy, crappy tasting, but pretty dang cute three tiered Princess and the Frog practice cake. Andy's laughing at me right now because I just asked him how to spell ... Wala. I think all my life I thought the big reveal of a culinary treat was Wala not Voila. Nice.

Lennon went to her best friend Isha's birthday party at a bounce house place on Saturday. Lennon, Isha and Erin are inseparable at school. They are also all in the same ballet class. It was so cute watching them play and giggle and run together. Nothing like the sweet giggle of little girls.
Ahhh...pure cuteness. I switched Lennon to Isha's class at the beginning of the school year. They spent the summer in the same class and when school started and Lennon was moved she wigged out on us for a while. When I saw Isha in a different class one afternoon I asked the director if Lennon could move. She said yes, and Lennon and Isha were reunited and Lennon's been MUCH better.

I love Isha's tiny little face. The other little girl is Amy. Every time I pick Lennon up from school she runs up to me to tell me "Hi Amy, I'm Amy". Every time :)

Andy caught us snuggling before the girls went to bed. I had no idea they had their arms back like that. Too funny.
Cheetah girls before church.

Super DAD!!!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

GREAT post! I was laughing at you guys all the way through. Um, only you and Andy could whip us a fondant cake when you have never done it before. Your sad practice cake would equal my most celebrated accomplishment in the decorating department. When I have kids you will be decorating their cakes...unless my kids want a BUNT! Also, only a dad who loves his kids and wife to pieces takes silly, snuggle pictures of them! I should know – that is the only kind of pictures my dad ever took growing up! Love you guys!